Thursday, January 31, 2013

AIG Update 1.31.13


First I wanted to welcome a number of third grade parents/students to the AIG program. We have formally qualified 3rd grade students, and I look forward to meeting with them next week! Thanks so much for those of you who have returned the ‘permission to serve’ form and provided me an email address. I’ll communicate via emails, and you can always check my blog which is available through the Claxton website or:  http://aigpruett.blogspot.com/

Fourth grade students are preparing to move into ‘Hands On Equations.” This program introduces students to solving equations through the use of math manipulatives. There is an underlying analogy that compares equations to scales. We’ll be talking about analogies and scales as we prepare to move into the work proper. Definitely more to come!

Hopefully our fifth grade students have been working on (if not finishing up) writing fiction to reflect our work with ‘Lost on the Moon’, a short simulation. I’ll be sharing this work soon as we prepare to move into our next unit of study:  ‘The Great Ocean Rescue.” In this work, students will adopt the roles of scientists (specifically geologists, oceanographers, marine biologists, and environmental scientists) to solve hypothetical ecological disasters around the world. I’ll let them bring you up to speed as we engage!

Thanks for your support of the AIG program! Please let me know any questions, comments, or concerns!

Here's a snap of some fifth graders, hard at work!


No comments:

Post a Comment